Last weekend, I had something very distressing happen—someone pirated the entire Ophelia and Abby series. I was successful in getting the site to take them down, and I really don’t want to start a discussion about pirating—some, even authors, are for; and some, like me, are against. And with the proliferation of e-books, I think it’s an argument that’s going to continue for some time.
However, it did start me thinking about ways readers, myself included, can support their favorite authors. The bottom line—publishing is an industry. If an author is lucky enough to sell enough units (books), I really believe that they’ll survive in this business. If not, their publisher is on to the next writer waiting to get their foot in the door, and one who might be a potential bestseller for them.
So how, given the eight hundred thousand books that are available, can one reader help ensure that their favorite authors stay on the lists? Personally, I think word of mouth is the best promotion any author can receive, and the more buzz that’s generated, the better.
If you want to help your favorites, here are just a few suggestions:
1. The most obvious one—share with your friends how much you enjoyed a certain book. I’ve discovered several new authors based on the recommendation of others.
2. If you belong to a book club, suggest that book as a topic for discussion.
3. Encourage your library to order a copy so others will hopefully enjoy the book as much as you did, join that author’s readership, and buy their next release.
4. Attend a book signing, if one is in your area and you have the time. A bookstore is more likely to invite an author back and promote that author’s work, if they (the author) were successful at drawing a crowd.
5. Go to Amazon and take the time to write a review.
6. Tweet about it.
7. Talk about it on other social networks such as Goodreads and Facebook.
8. If you have a blog, write about how much you enjoyed reading that particular book.
To me, all of the above is kind of like dropping a rock into a lake—the ripples go on and on. If you really like a certain book, a certain series—help that author create some ripples!!!
That’s all for this week—see you next Thursday!!