Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Where's George?

Yesterday morning, I was going through my wallet to get lunch money for my daughter when I came across a Where's George? dollar bill. I don't know if any of you have ever heard of it, but I hadn't. Still, I was curious, so I went on their website and learned that Where's George? is basically a project where you can track where your little dollar has been.

You enter the serial number and it tells you how far the bill has traveled, how long it spent in certain places. It sounded really neat. In fact, it began to occur to me that my dollar might be having more fun that me. I imagined exotic locales, or even warm places like Florida or California. What if my dollar was used to buy a bit of crab etouffe down in New Orleans or a lobster sandwich in some quaint village in New Hampshire? (Can you tell many of my fantasies revolve around food?)

I entered my dollar's serial numbers into the system and to my wonderment and surprise, my bill was four years old (but it doesn't act like it) and it came from...11 miles away from my house. My dollar spent all of its time in a drawer in Shrewsbury, Missouri. It seemed so anti-climactic. I had dreams for this bill.

So then, in an odd way, I started feeling responsible for showing it a good time. What could I do with this dollar to send it somewhere interesting - or at least farther than the next town?

I have to admit, though, as I thought about it, my foggy morning brain started wandering to other fascinating topics, like my fuzzy socks and where I'd stashed those tea bags I bought last week. And in the end, the Where's George? dollar went into my daughter's back pack to be used as lunch money.

At least it made it 0.5 miles from the house in a day. That has to be a bit more interesting than time spent in a drawer. And I can't help but wonder where it will go next.

5 comments:

Shawntelle Madison said...

Well, for the brief time you had it I'm sure that dollar had a pretty exciting time!

Sharon S. said...

lol, you will have to go back and check the website every now and again to see where Mr. Bill has traveled.

Angie Fox said...

Okay this afternoon, an email came that said my dollar was just spent at a Target a few miles away. I'm wondering why the lunch bucks didn't go to the bank or something. Hmm...

Casey said...

I've seen the Where's George thing and never knew what it was. It would be fun to think our money was doing something exotic.

Sharon S. said...

I think there is a stat out there about the chances that a dollar bill has been in a strippers G-string You're welcome!