Monday, June 20, 2011

In Case of Emergency Bake Banana Bread

Happy Belated Father's Day! We had a great time at Chez Madison. I made a hot breakfast for the husband and the kids managed to carry the food to him without making scrambled eggs art on the floor. I was mighty proud!

After cleaning/hiding any bodies and cramming toys into random corners, I made my husband's favorite dinner. While I made dinner, I noticed that we had two bunches of bananas that hadn't been eaten. Those poor things needed a home and I felt more than obligated to take each of them and make two homemade loaves of banana bread. Since I only had two bread pans, and plenty of banana bread left to be made (I had a lot of bananas...), I took a cookie tray for Valentine's Day cookies and pour banana bread into those. (Yup, I guess I made banana bread-bites-not-cookies-not-muffins.) Hey, in case of emergency use what you got. They came out great. I had to use a spoon to scoop them out of the mold, but that didn't stop my kids or husband from scarfing them down. I guess that half heart banana bread-bites-not-quite-cookies-not-muffins worked out great! ;)

I got my recipe from AllRecipes.com a few years ago and I remixed it a little bit. I love it and it never lasts long at my house!

SUPER MOIST CINNAMONY BANANA BREAD RECIPE

2 eggs
1/3 cup buttermilk
1 3/4 cups flour
1 1/2 cups sugar
1/2 cup vegetable oil
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
1 cup bananas mashed

I preheat the oven at 325 F. Since I'm a horrible baker, I will admit that I don't really had a particular order that I mix the ingredients. I add them all into the bowl, mix them together well. Then I add a bit of vegetable oil to the pans to help the bread not stick. Then I add half the bowl's contents to one pan and then the other. I cook them for an hour. To test to make sure they are done, I stick in a butter knife. If it comes out clean, I'm good to go.

When it's done, I continue the sugar high by sprinkling a bit of nutmeg and sugar on top of each loaf.

So did you have any plans for Father's Day? Any baking involved? :)

4 comments:

skwilliams said...

OMG. That sounds so freaking good!

Brenda Hyde said...

If it wasn't so dang hot I'd make this tonight. Yum!

John said...

I know a lot of folks who don’t eat eggs (they’re allergic, for health reasons, or concerns about animal cruelty). Here’s an awesome site that gives tips on cooking and baking without eggs: http://EggFreeLiving.com

Sharon said...

now I want some Banana Bread and there is no way I will be cooking it! Must head to the bakery to get some....