Saturday, June 11, 2011

The Perfect Pair

I had a relaxing weekend! The rain prevented me from enjoying some time outside on the deck, but I had plenty to do inside the house. Not only did I have a few great books, but I had some silence. (For those with kids, you know silence should be something that's bottled and sold.)

I also, for the first time ever, visited Coldstone Creamery. For those of you who have visited this place and left twitching in the bliss of your sugar shock, I salute you. That was a lot of ice cream I ate and it was so so good. (For those curious to know, I had a vanilla ice cream with sprinkles, chocolate chips, chocolate syrup, and m&ms. And that was a tame one compared to some other ones I saw...)

Not long after my ice cream trip, I jumped back into more books. For those who don't know me, I'm a slow reader. I used to think I was fast, but then I heard how fast other people read and then I realized molasses and I have a lot in common. You can pat the bottom of the bottle all you want--but the syrup will still come out slow and steady.

I think part of the reason why it takes me so long to read is that I pick up books that aren't the "books" I prefer to read. For me, a good book is like a pair of jeans. They need to:

1. Fits me just right.
2. Make me feel good about them.
3. Make me feel satisfied that my purchase was worth it.
4. They are the kind of material I'm comfortable with.
5. (Bonus points if they are on the sale rack.)

I've picked up books, like jeans, and then I try them on. I try to cram my legs into them. (Struggling with chapter 1) Suck in my stomach to try to button them (I thought I could read a historical drama set in some-foreign-imaginary-land-where-hero-must-save-heroine-from herself but I just can't...). And then finally I stick the jeans into my closet where they'll sit there for months on end. (Just like that poor book I tried to read.)

The happy ending to my post is that there are jeans out there for me, just like a perfect pair of jeans. So don't feel bad about that book that you just couldn't finish. Like me, you just have to keep searching and keep trying them, cause sooner or later you'll find the perfect pair (book) on the rack (shelf) just waiting for me to take them home.

Have you read a book lately that was a perfect fit for you? Please share. I just finally finished MOCKINGJAY by Suzanne Collins and now I'm on the hunt for another good book!

2 comments:

SandyG265 said...

I just read Divergent and really enjoyed it.

Shawntelle Madison said...

I inhaled Divergent!! So good! Now that one was a perfect fit for me.