Monday, July 18, 2011

A Magical Weekend

Let me expose myself right now. I haven't read all the Harry Potter books. (Ducks and hides from the rush of Harry Potter fans.) I tried to read the first two, but another shiny book grabbed my attention and I stopped. With the release of the last Harry Potter movie, I do feel kind of sad. I have watched the movies. They get to the point and I'm entertained for two hours. I hate to admit it, but I haven't watched the first Deathly Hollows movie, and well, I have no plans to run to the theater to watch the second part since watching the first one kinda helps.

Speaking of books with series... When it comes to books and series, I never read a book out of order. I've lost count of the amount of times I've been to a friend's house and I spy a gem. The cover is gorgeous. The back cover blurb is divine. In my head I plot how I'm going to convince the owner to let me borrow it. But then I look inside and I see it's book 6 in a series... I know some people can jump in late in a series and be just fine, but I'm a stickler for reading a book from the beginning. Most books are built as stand-alones. I could technically read it without problems. But I just prefer reading the first book and seeing everything from the beginning. There are so many details and plots I can experience that are given in bits and pieces in subsequent books. (And why not support the author by buying books 1-5 so I can read 6?)

So can you read a book later in a series if that book interests you enough? Which series was it? Did you go see the Harry Potter movie this weekend? Bonus points if you dressed up. ;)

4 comments:

SandyG265 said...

I usually like to read a series in order. But I have occasionally picked up a book and found that it was the second or third book in a series, read it and enjoyed it.

Elle said...

i have to read in order too.. i blame it on OCD!

Shawntelle Madison said...

Okay, I feel better that I'm not alone in needing to read things in order. :D

Sharon said...

well, up till about a year ago I would *never read a book out of order. Then I became a reviewer and sometimes I have to read them out of order. It hurts my soul to do so though . Some series it doesn't matter. The author does a great job of catching you up and there is a new hero/heroine, but with a lot of UF you can't.