Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Wednesday Musings

It’s Wednesday and time again to blog. Trouble is, I don’t have any news. What I have had is 12 years of Catholic school education, and that means when I have an assignment, I complete it.

So blog, I will!

Spent the last couple days reading over the copy edits for Pepper Martin mystery #8, "Wild, Wild Death." Had a good copy editor, and a very clean manuscript, so the process was quick and painful. Today I write the dedication and acknowledgments, then send it winging back to NYC. Each phase of a book’s publishing process has its own special surprises and rewards. Sometimes at the copy edited stage, those surprises aren’t good ones. Copy editors are the ones who not only look to make sure grammar, punctuation, etc. are AOK, they also look for inconsistencies, and in mysteries, those can be big. At this stage, loose ends are not a good thing!

With "Wild, Wild Death," there was none of that and I was thrilled to see that the story held together. After so many months of not seeing the manuscript (I turned it in to my editor in February), I’d forgotten a lot, and I was pleased by the twists and turns the plot took. I even surprised myself a time or two, especially with the way I wrapped up some plot points and set the stage for the next book in the series. Yes, there have been times I’ve gotten copy edited manuscripts and realized the book was not the best. Hallelujah, this was not one of them!

Still fighting to get my new cover posted, still working to plot Pepper Martin mystery #9. Thinking about a title. I won’t give anything away, but if anyone can come up with a title with the word "super" in it, I’ll reward you with a mention in the book!

4 comments:

Angie Fox said...

LOL Love the Catholic school issues. I've got those too! Glad to hear copyedits weren't too painful. I always battle the CE over "like" vs "as if."

"She ran as if she were a bat out of hell" may please the grammar police, but I can't do it. I just can't. ;)

Will put my brain to "super" titles. Right now, I have Abba's Super Trooper running through my mind. Somehow, I doubt that's what you're looking for.

Casey said...

I'm with you on CE thing, Angie. I've been lucky and have had the same CE the last couple Pepper books. We've worked our way through the as if/like stuff, who/whom, etc. Especially when you're writing in first person, you can't let grammar get in the way of voice. (Don't let the nuns know I said that!)

Sharon said...

Looking forward to the next Pepper book!! I will have to think about the super title :) Could it be a compound word like Supernatural?

Casey said...

Oh yes, Sharon, anything that includes "super."

Hint, hint . . . Superman was created in Cleveland!