Thursday, October 20, 2011

A Good Day

Today is a good day! As soon as I finish this blog, I’m signing the contract for a new “Jess McConkey” book and shipping it back to my agent! And right now I feel like a very, very lucky girl. It’s going to be a pleasure to once again be working with my editor, Emily, and the terrific staff at William Morrow.

This event also brings with it a couple of other thoughts: 1. If someone would’ve told me seven years ago that I’d become the author of nine books, I’d have called them crazy! Which leads to Thought Number 2. All well and good with this book…I actually have it fairly well plotted out…but after this one, what about #10? Will I be able to come up with another idea?

This last thought is nothing new; I’ve experienced it nine times now. You see at the beginning of each new book, I’m convinced this will be my final one…that there’s no frigging way I’ll ever come up with a plot for the next one. When this first happened a few years ago, it was kind of scary. Being an author is an important part of my life, and I really would like it to continue. But over these same years, I’ve learned something else—at some point during the writing of this current book, an idea will come to me for the next one. It might be something I see on the news, something I read in the paper, something I see online, or maybe just an anecdote someone shares with me. Whatever the source, it’ll make me start playing “what if” in my head and it’s from that point that a story will be born. I may still experience a moment of panic as I type the words “Chapter One”, but I’ve learned to trust in this process, not stress over what might happen next in my career as an author, and just concentrate on the task at hand by trying to do my best on this book and hitting my deadline!

Wouldn’t it be nice if I could apply that same philosophy to everything??? Do your best and don't worry about what's next?

One last thing before I go—and of more interest than the above ramblings *g*--the winner of last week’s contest…Denise Z! Send me (Shirley@shirleydamsgaard.com) your mailing address and I get it in the mail to you.

Have a good one and I’ll catch you next Thursday!

Best,
Shirley

3 comments:

Sharon said...

Congrats! One of the reasons I wouldn't write a book, other than the lazy factor , is the thought of having to come up with a plot. That scares me and I don't have to do it. I am glad you don't give into the fear, because you are a wonderful storyteller and it would be a shame not to share it :)

Kylie said...

Congrats on the new contract, Shirley!

Shawntelle Madison said...

Congratulations that's great news!