Monday, November 21, 2011

Thankful for Books and Corsets :)

As of Friday I turned in a round of edits for KEPT! It was a fun ride so now I get to relax and enjoy some good books. Right now I'm giving in to my inner geek and I'm reading WWW:WAKE by Robert Sawyer. But after that I've got some good one coming in the pipeline. I got an early copy of Amanda Bonilla's SHAEDES OF GRAY! She got a Top Pick and a 4 1/2 star review on RT Book Reviews so I can't wait to read it. Another book which I just happened to stumble upon was WHEN SHE WOKE by Hillary Jordan. I read the opening and was hooked. It's essentially a re-telling of The Scarlet Letter--but in the future! Here is the premise:

Hannah Payne’s life has been devoted to church and family. But after she’s convicted of murder, she awakens to a nightmarish new life. She finds herself lying on a table in a bare room, covered only by a paper gown, with cameras broadcasting her every move to millions at home, for whom observing new Chromes—criminals whose skin color has been genetically altered to match the class of their crime—is a sinister form of entertainment. Hannah is a Red for the crime of murder. The victim, says the State of Texas, was her unborn child, and Hannah is determined to protect the identity of the father, a public figure with whom she shared a fierce and forbidden love. 

A powerful reimagining of The Scarlet LetterWhen She Woke is a timely fable about a stigmatized woman struggling to navigate an America of the not-too-distant future, where the line between church and state has been eradicated, and convicted felons are no longer imprisoned but chromed and released back into the population to survive as best they can. In seeking a path to safety in an alien and hostile world, Hannah unknowingly embarks on a journey of self-discovery that forces her to question the values she once held true and the righteousness of a country that politicizes faith a love.


Isn't that neat? I couldn't wait to read it after I read a few preview pages. I've got a whole week to relax and read for the Thanksigiving holiday! Of course, I have a few freelance projects, but well, a break or two to read never hurts. ;)

So, on to the cool part. On Friday I celebrated Hot Damn Design's one year anniversary at their masquerade ball. I work with Kim Killion as the developer behind their Wordpress, Facebook, and other advanced projects. It's been a great and successful year so a celebration was definitely warranted. If you recall, Angie and I bought some corsets a month ago. Would you believe they both showed up on that very Friday?? Can someone say perfect timing? Angie looked amazing in hers and I had a blast. Here's a shot of me in mine:


It was quite an experience to get into it. Arranging the corset was the easy part. Tightening it as a newbie was another story. I tried to grab a few of the drawstrings in the back, but I couldn't tighten it properly. Thank goodness I got some help once I arrive at the party. Author Jennifer Jakes was kind enough to further  tighten me up. LOL And boy did the corset feel so much better afterwards. :) I even managed to eat at bit while wearing it. If anyone's thinking about buying one, I highly recommend it. Angie and I bought ours from Draconas Creations and I love the quality of the product.



Happy Thanksgiving, everyone!

4 comments:

Amanda Bonilla said...

You look so cute! Looks like it was a fun party! I have to say, WHEN SHE WOKE, sounds really good. I'm going to have to put that on my TBR list.

Na said...

I want to attend a masquerade ball one day :) They sound so fun and I agree, you do look cute!

Sharon said...

SHADES OF GRAY has gotten so many great reviews. It is on my TBR list. I love the corset. I want one, but I have no where to wear it!

Shawntelle Madison said...

Sharon, you'll love SHAEDES! I'm reading it right now and it's awesome!