Wednesday, December 21, 2011

This year, Christmas crept up on our household, jumped out of the dark corner where it hides for most of the year, and caught us all off guard. We are never the picture of perfectly organized holiday bliss, but this year . . . well, the tree is up and as many of the decorations are out as I’m willing to handle, but the place is far from clean and organized. Shopping? Not done. Wrapping? Ditto. Baking? I never do, so that’s one chore I don’t need to worry about.


Still, with all the craziness, I know we’ll have a good holiday. We’ll see friends and family and really, that’s what it’s all about.


That, and the memories.


As I worked decorating the tree this past Sunday, that message really hit home. Box after box of ornaments came down from the attic. Some, I peeked in and put right away. Others required a little more digging through and a little more thought. But with some ornaments, there was no question. Of course, they had to go on the tree. It wouldn’t be Christmas without them.


The ones I like best are old pictures we’ve put in small frames and things we’ve brought back from vacations. But my all-time favorites are without a doubt the ornaments my kids made when they were young.


An aside here: my children are both adults now, and so these ornaments have been with us for years. There’s a picture of my daughter (then 6) and my son (just a couple months old) on Santa’s lap. The poorly cut out stocking with a picture of my daughter–maybe 11 or 12-- looking awkward and uncomfortable in front of the school camera. There’s a small white paper plate that my son cut the center out of and stuck green tissue paper on to make it look like a wreath. The popsicle sticks glued together in a triangle with two googly eyes added. Yes, it does look like a reindeer.


So in addition to saying Merry Christmas to all of you, I want to say something else this year to every teacher out there who works with his/her students on holiday ornaments. You’re making a mess of glue and tissue. You’re making a small something that parents and grandparents can unwrap and ooh and aah over. And you’re making memories. Thank you.

2 comments:

Sharon said...

most of the ornaments on my tree were hand made by someone. Lots from my grandmother. I have some I made as a child and lots my kids have made (and still make!). Just about every ornament has a story behind it. I love my Christmas tree :)

Brenda Hyde said...

Casey-- I think we are kindred spirits:) Our tree has ornaments on much like you described. My kids are 18, 17 and 11 now- I love looking at the ornaments they've made, and my tree may not be stylish or beautiful like those in Better Homes & Gardens but I wouldn't change a think. I love it:)

Christmas snuck up on us too this year. I finally finished shopping last night except for the candy for the stockings. O_O Just ONE more trip out. LOL

Merry Christmas!