Thursday, December 15, 2011

What would you do?

Something kind of interesting happened to my oldest daughter last weekend. While Christmas shopping at Target, she decided to peruse the books and look for LOVE LIES BLEEDING. Sure enough, she found it in “The Emerging Author” display and decided to take a picture, but here’s where it gets a little surreal. She had to wait until a couple of women finished looking the book over and then watched as they placed it in their carts. And it did feel a little weird to her—to see two complete strangers buy her mother’s book, and with no prompting from her!

Personally I’ve never experienced that situation. In the many times I’ve been shopping for myself in bookstores, I’ve never witnessed a stranger purchasing one of the books or ran into anyone with a copy in their hand. To be honest, I’ve always wondered what I’d do if I did. Would I say anything to them? What if I started with the innocuous question…”So…how do you like that book?” then didn’t like their answer? Would introducing myself as the author come across as being conceited? Would the person with the book feel like they’re being put on the spot and required to say something nice whether they wanted to or not?

How about you? How would you feel if you were standing in the check-out line and the person next to you suddenly said, “I wrote that book.” Or if you were in an elevator or an airport with a book in your hand and a stranger asked you how you liked their book? Would you be pleased to meet the author, or would it make you squirm a little?

And no, my daughter didn’t say, “Hey, my mom wrote that!” to the two women making the purchases! She just stood there quietly watching then took her picture.

That’s all for this week—btw Christmas is only ten days away (not that anyone needs reminding!). I hope everyone is having a great holiday season and I’ll see you next week.

Best,
Shirley

5 comments:

Sharon said...

well, since I am a blogger I would LOVE it if the author introduced themselves (or is it their selves?) . They would probably wish they hadn't spoken up after I got through with them .

SandyG265 said...

I'd be interested in talking to the author.

Angie Fox said...

You know, that has happened to me. I was at McDonalds and a woman a few tables away was reading A Tale of Two Demon Slayers. It was one of those double-take moments. I laughed out loud and commented to my friend, "That Angie Fox is a hack." The woman heard me so my friend made me go back and say, "Er, actually I'm Angie Fox."

I ended up signing the woman's book and we had a nice chat about authors we like. We both tended to read the same kind of books, go figure. But yes, next time I should have a better plan in place. My husband has seen people before at the airport and resisted the urge to say anything.

Lexi said...

I would love it if the author introduced themselves! It would be great to talk books. Its even fun if another shopper says something about your book purchase, always interesting to see what people think.

Sharon said...

while not the same, When I see people looking at a book I've read I will encourage them to buy it and pull out my list of my favorite authors (yes, I carry an 8 page list) and give them some ideas if they want. My last conquests were my dental hygienist and the elementary school librarian :Bwahahaha: