Monday, January 9, 2012

Guilty Pleasures

I'm gonna reveal a guilty pleasure of mine. If you've seen a few of my tweets, you might already know about it...

If I could watch great drama for hours on end, I'd do it. I hate to admit it, but I love a good cry from a great well written television drama. In the past, I grew up watching Young and the Restless and watched it until a few years ago. (I even faithfully watched it in college.) That's until I got turned on to watching Asian dramas. In particular south Korean dramas. It started a while ago--maybe a year, but I watched one show on dramafever.com and after that I was hooked. I loved how well-written the shows were. It was so different compared to what I watched in America. The differences were obvious but they added to the appeal: different language, different settings, different culture and so much more. But the one obvious thing that never changed was family relationships, friendships--even love between two people who just could get their act together to stay together. It was in those shows that I watched and watched--and then shortly afterward got in a good cry. It was awe-some! I was so tired of the same plotlines on American daytime television. I hate to say it, but on most days I felt like I'd seen it all before. Oh wow, gal A is now hooking up with guy B since she's already married guy B's brother before. I guess that isn't awkward during family dinners... ;)

Not too long ago I even found a k-drama based on the movie Overboard with Kurt Russell and Goldie Hawn. That is one of my favorite movies ever and to see it as a k-drama was even more fun! It was fresh, it was different! (I only cried once, but that's okay!) If you'd like to see it, search for Couple or Trouble k-drama.

So, now that I've revealed one of my guilty pleasure, do any of you have things you love to do to de-stress or enjoy yourself? I've always wondered if I'd enjoy something like knitting or sewing as well.

2 comments:

December said...

Does shopping count as a guilty pleasure? I love to shop. But not just shop, bargain hunt. I love knowing that I scored a GREAT deal on something.

Shawntelle Madison said...

Shopping is indeed a guilty pleasure. Especially after I leave the check out lane.