Thursday, February 23, 2012

The Joys of Research

Okay, I’m tearing myself away from the “Ghost Radar” app that Casey recommended (see the comments that I just posted in response to her blog of yesterday) and am going to write my blog. No, it’s not about things that go bump in the night, but one of the things that I like best about writing—research.

I think I’ve mentioned it before, but I really do enjoy that part of the whole process…one learns such interesting facts…and let’s face it, I’m an information junkie. And the weirder, the more obscure, the information is, all the better.

Here’s how it works for me—I’ll come up with an idea, say in this case “necromancy” (ie. according to my understanding, the manipulation of souls for ones own purpose.) In the process of reading about that, I come across information about ritual sacrifice and animal mutilation. (I know…gross! But the latter actually has happened in this state with livestock, and I remember all sorts of wild rumors flying about as to what was the cause.)

At that point, my brain starts playing “what if?” For example, what if Ophelia and Abby ran into someone who practiced that black art? What would they do? What would happen? And concerning the animals, as much as Ophelia and Abby respect all living things, they certainly would try and get to the bottom of what was going on, but how? (Yes, I’m thinking about a new O&A…no takers yet, but we’ll see how it goes.)Next thing I know…gee, I’ve got a plot brewing, and that’s all I’m going to mention about said plot. I don’t want to give too much of it away. (However, the tag line is going to be “don’t go into the woods alone.”)

Now will any of the interesting facts that I’m uncovering as this plot simmers ever come up in conversation? Ah, no. Talking about any of the above at dinner is a sure way to guarantee that you’ll be eating alone. Plus I have one daughter who’s convinced that surfing the web for this info will put me on the FBI watch list. (Maybe not, but hallucinogenic drugs that I intend reading about, might.)

I’ll keep you posted, and if this does work out and another O&A does happen, remember folks, you read about it here first!

That’s all for this week. See you next Thursday!

Best,
Shirley

4 comments:

Bev said...

My daughter and I would love to see another Abby and Ophelia!

Casey said...

I, too, love research, Shirley. I could easily get lost in it and do nothing but all day. It's one of the reasons I've recently gotten sucked into working on family history, both mine and my husband's. Research heaven!!!

Good luck with the new plot.

Sharon said...

my mom and I would also love another A&O story :) so now you have 4 people who would buy it! fingers crossed for you. I am going to see if I can download that app for my iPad...

Sharon said...

downloaded Ghost radar and there is nothing in my house...