Tuesday, March 20, 2012

The best laid plans...


A few months ago, in a fit of energy, I signed up for this really neat race that's coming up. I think I may have written about it here. It's the Run for Your Lives 5K obstacle course. It's fun because you're out running through a park and it's extra neat because you're being chased by people dressed as zombies. You have to dodge and weave and hope they don't get all of the flags from your flag belt (lest you become one of the undead horde).

Now, as far as I'm concerned, there has been one minor complication with the whole, "run through the woods for miles" plan and that is that I don't know how to run. Oh sure, I could run if chased. But I've never been a track and field type. I've never jogged for fun and it took me two weeks to find my old running shoes (back of the closet, behind lots of old books that I had to fondle first).

Once I found the shoes, I was at a bit of a loss as to how to proceed. So I went to the library and found more books - on running this time (See? An improvement.) Only now, I'm learning all kinds of different techniques for what I'd at first believed was an uncomplicated activity. And, quite frankly, I'm all intimidated as to how to start running and when and how to breathe and I'm thinking I should have not tried to research and just started, oh I don't know - running.

So next week, when the kids are back in school, I'm going to start. It will not be pretty. In fact, it will probably be quite slow. In fact, if you have any tips, I'm all ears. At least the zombie hoard won't be here until August.

5 comments:

Stephanie Rowe said...

OMG, Angie, that zombie run is the funniest thing I've ever heard. This is hilarious! You are so cool for running that. I hope you are recruiting someone to take pictures!!!

Casey said...

I love the idea of a zombie run! Even though I know I would be the first to become one of the undead!

Sharon said...

go to a park with a great walking/running trail. Start walking it, then speed up a little till you are at a slow jog. See how it feels, how long can you do it, find the pace that feels good to you. When you get tired slow down to a walk again. alternate back and forth. Once you find your rhythm run/jog longer next time. Pretty simple, follow what your body tells you :)

Angie Fox said...

Oh we will be taking pictures. I've been waiting for this race to come to St. Louis.

Angie Fox said...

That sounds so logical, Sharon. I think I'd do much better with that than by timing sprints or going around and around on a track. The hardest part too (hopefully) will just be getting started.