Thursday, March 15, 2012

For Only Three Easy Payments

I’ve been under the weather for the last two weeks…nothing serious…just upper respiratory stuff that’s hung on a bit longer than usual. However, as a result, my wonky sleep patterns have been even more wonky and at 3 o’clock in the morning there really isn’t much to do other than read or watch TV. Do you know what’s on at 3 in the morning? Informercials. And if you can believe them, we live in a society obsessed with how we look.

For example you can look like a celebrity if only you buy whatever cleanser, makeup, wrinkle cream, etc. that they’re endorsing. They’ve each discovered a revolutionary way to make your skin absolutely glow and get rid of those pesky crow’s feet around your eyes. Usually using some exotic plant extract that can only be found in the Amazon or the juice from some fruit that only grows in some obscure valley in Europe.

Want to lose weight? Try X’s diet and you’ll be slimmer in a matter of weeks. Or if that doesn’t do it for you, buy Y’s exercise program and you’ll be in a size 4 before you know it. Don’t want to exercise or diet, but still want to get rid of the “muffin top”? Try the “instant tummy tuck” or one of the many other wraps or belts, and thanks to the appliances’ break-through technology, the fat will melt away without any effort on your part.

And you can have any of the above mentioned for only three easy payments of $29.95!

All sarcasm aside—some of these products might actually deliver on some of the promises that they make, but honestly, the commercials make it sound like if only you buy their product, your life will go from being “ho-hum” to absolutely dynamic. I can see why people whip out the credit card and make the 1-800 call. I was sorely tempted to be one of them, but thank goodness the cold meds hadn’t fuddled my brain enough to make me forget what my mother always used to say…”if it sounds too good to be true, it usually is!” So no, the UPS man isn’t making a daily drop of packages containing the latest in skin rejuvenation or weight loss despite all the high pressure sales pitches I watched.

How about you? Have any of you been sucked into buying any of this “stuff”? And if you did, did it work, or is the product languishing on your bathroom shelf, or stuck forgotten in a closet?

That’s it for this week. Everyone have a safe and happy St. Patrick’s Day!

Best,
Shirley

3 comments:

Zita said...

I did try the miracle Chinese black tea that makes the weight just fall off you. I tried it for about a week and I eventually threw the rest out because it had gone stale. And the weight didn't fall off. It didn't even trickle off. :-)

Sharon said...

haha, I have been tempted, but never gave in. My problem is my kids. They want everything. I think I have convinced them that it is all bullcrap. Those awesome crafts for kids are made by adults for the commercial! yay, me, installing cynicism in my kids at an early age :)

Angie Fox said...

Too funny. My husband bought an infomercial wok after a few beers one night. This was before he met me and we still have that wok - it's a bit dented, but it works great.

Oh and he also joined the history book of the month club. Again, this was before he met me - hmm...am I putting a dent in his late night tv habit?