Thursday, April 19, 2012

Life gets in the way

Once, when discussing one of my looming deadlines, my agent made the comment “life has a habit of getting in the way,” and brother, does that describe how things have been going for me! Since the middle of March, I’ve driven over 2,000 miles, sat through my youngest son’s minor surgery, stripped two decks and a privacy fence, destroyed one belt sander (brand new of course…running it over a power cord isn’t such a good thing!), tried to kill a gazillion weeds in my yard, sown 30 pounds of grass seed, and chased after numerous grandchildren. Notice blogging and writing aren’t on the list??? For the former, I do apologize and for the latter, I really do need to focus and get to work!

And I will…right after I get back from Springfield, Illinois next Monday. Why Springfield? My oldest daughter and I had the crazy idea it would be a great trip for my grandsons, so we’re off tomorrow with five little boys (ranging in ages from 2 to 10) in tow to experience an exciting weekend learning about Abraham Lincoln.

Should I be staying at home and working on all these things I’ve yet to finish, especially the new manuscript? Probably, but in my mind, creating memories with my family is important and my problem is I want to do it all…finish my projects, finish my book, and still find the time to have fun.

I think the trick must be finding a balance in your life…you know “a little of this and a little of that.” And I’ve got to admit, that’s something I’ve not been very good at doing. I always seem to be going full tilt at one project until another grabs my attention then I move onto it and leave the first by the wayside. As a result, my life seems to be littered with unfinished “stuff.”

So how about you? Anyone else out there who’s having a problem balancing all the demands of modern life? If so, what are some solutions that you’ve tried? And did they work? I’m open to any and all suggestions!

That’s it for this week—have a good one!

Best,
Shirley

1 comment:

Sharon said...

um...don't sweat the small stuff? To everything there is a season and a time for every purpose? that is about all the advice I can think of