No doubt about it—getting ready for summer is a lot of work!!! The past couple of weeks, I’ve been up with the chickens cleaning up the yard, planting grass seed, pulling weeds, planting flowers, and painting. I don’t mind doing the work—it’s not all that hard and it does give me a sense of accomplishment when the task is finished, but I am ready to kick back a little and enjoy the fruits of my labor.
So I decided to make a list of a few of the things that I look forward to the most in the summertime:
1. Early morning coffee and/or an evening libation out on the deck. Recently I discovered that all the flowers I’ve been planting are drawing hummingbirds and it’s kind of interesting to watch them flit hither and yon as I sip whatever it is that I’m drinking.
2. Backyard barbeques. Although most of my kids live close, they all have very busy lives (which is good!) and it seems that we get together more in the summer than at any other time of the year.
3. The 4th of July. In fact when I was a kid, it was my favorite holiday! (I know…weird! Most kids pick Christmas, but not me! I think it had something to do with things exploding in the air and the excitement of carnivals!)
4. Vacations. I love to travel and it’s always interesting going new places and seeing new things. As I’ve said, this year I’m headed to Tennessee and Kentucky for a couple of conferences, so it will be a “working” vacation, but my youngest daughter and one of my grandsons are going with me, so we’ve planned to squeeze in a few side trips…Graceland, Dollywood, The Hermitage, and of course, a ghost tour!
5. Hanging out around the pool. I don’t know if being a Scorpio (one of the water signs) has anything to do with it, but being around any body of water has always been extremely relaxing for me.
6. Reading. Okay…I do this year round, but it seems that I do more of it in the summer.
7. Outdoor concerts…much more of a party atmosphere than ones held inside of an event center.
And last but not least, the food!!! BLT’s with homegrown tomatoes, sweet corn, home-made ice cream, fresh strawberries, watermelon, hamburgers and steaks done on the grill…the list goes on and on. Good thing that summertime gives me the opportunity to work off all those calories!
Well, that’s a few of the things that I enjoy the most about summertime. How about you? What are some of your favorite things to do this time of year?