Wednesday, May 30, 2012

A Wicked Welcome to Donna MacMeans!



Hello you wicked writers and wicked readers!


Big thanks to Casey Daniels who invited me here today to talk about my latest release. It hasn’t any paranormal elements to it - no one with powers - no one with horns - but it is wicked nonetheless (wiggles eyebrows).

You see, I write historicals - sexy, fun Victorian historicals - but this one has some elements that make it a little different from the norm. The Casanova Code launches a new series called The Rake Patrol and evolves around Victorian personal ads - man seeks woman - woman seeks man - yes, they had those back then but they were much more nicely written than today’s counterparts. Sometimes personal ads were written in code. Given that the newspapers were the only means of public communication, a private message might be written in code to prevent an unwanted participant - say a spouse - from “listening in.” My heroine, Edwina Hargrove, can break code. She reads the personal ads looking for those sorts of private communications that others skim over.

Here’s the blurb:



“A refined gentleman, age 25, of wealth and education, seeks the acquaintance, with a view to matrimony, of a high-minded, kind-hearted lady who prefers an evening of quiet conversation to the lively demands of society.”

Edwina Hargrove knows that this “gentleman” was, in fact, Ashton Trewelyn, a rake notorious for seducing the young and naive. In fact, five decent women have already been tricked and bundled off to the continent for scandalous purposes. There was a way to thwart his scheme though—by shadowing this devilishly handsome Casanova and warning his prey. If only it were that simple.

The closer Edwina gets to Ashton, the more she is pulled into a web of intrigues, secret societies and coded messages. Uncovering Ashton’s secrets arouses temptations only Ashton can satisfy. But at what cost? Can she gamble her reputation and secure future on an enigmatic code and a lust for adventure?



Have to tell you - I had great fun writing this book. Yes, there’s a mystery thread (how could I have coded mesaages without a mystery - grin). But there’s lots more as well. Things that can be very shocking indeed for a young Victorian miss. Even one that claims to be a “modern woman” in the 1890s.

While the Casanova Code has a release date of June 5th, my publisher sent me some early copies - one of which I’m happy to give away to someone leaving a comment. So let’s chat a bit. My heroine is something of a closet adventurer. She longs to float down the Nile on a barge, or explore the Steppes, or do just about anything that will take her out of London. If you had the means and the time - where would you like to explore?

You can read an excerpt of The Casanova Code on my website www.Dmacmeans.com. While there you might want to sign up for my newsletter and thus be eligible for a May and June drawing for a cherry blossom pendant necklace from the Smithsonian. (Cherry blossoms play a part in the book). But in the meantime - Let’s chat!













29 comments:

Jodi said...

This sounds like a good book. I can't wait to read how she follows him! If I could explore anywhere, it would be Europe and England. So much to see and do! But then again, I haven't seen all of the US yet!
Will you have any of these books this weekend?

Casey said...

Hi folks! If you aren't one of the lucky readers who've already discovered Donna's books, check them out. They're as witty and delightful as she is!

As for exploring...once upon a time (a long time ago!) I went to school in England for a while. Would love to go back with a whole lot of time and a car so I could explore small places to my heart's content. While I was at it, I'd head over to Wales (truly, the most magical place I've ever visited) and up to Scotland, too, of course. Then there are all the Irish relatives I'd have to check out. And as long as we're fantacizing...I've just rediscovered some of my grandfather's Polish relatives and we're in touch now. How much fun it would be to visit them!

Casey, stopping dreaming now and getting back to work.

Nancy said...

Donna, I can't wait to read this book! I know it will be fabulous.

If I had the time and the money to explore anywhere I wanted, I would probably go to Antarctica or the wilds of Alaska. I'd love to see icebergs and whales and sea lions (or seals) and penguins and giant sea turtles--though I think those are maybe warmer waters.

I've never been out in open water and have no idea how I'd do with that, so I would pack lots of dramamine. :-)

Anna Campbell said...

Donna, this book sounds so delicious! And I love the title - you automatically know you're in for a fun ride when you see The Casanova Code! Good luck with it. I'm sure everybody will love it!

Donna MacMeans said...

Hi Jodi -

Hoping to. The book doesn't really come out till June 5th but B&N in West Chester said they were seeing about bringing some in for an early release. I don't know how many they managed to get though.

We really are blessed in the US to have so much real estate to explore. I've flown over much of the land west of the Mississippi on my way to California or Las Vegas. I'd like to see the "in-between" a little more up close fand personal.

Donna MacMeans said...

Casey -

I've been to England decades ago - long before I ever thought of writing a novel. At the time I thought I thought of myself as an artist - a painter - so I looked at things in terms of composition and color - not historical content (grin). I'd love to go back and explore the little museums and venture to places away from London.

Fingers crossed - I'm hoping to go to Scotland this year. That will cure my wonderlust for a little while.

Donna MacMeans said...

Nancy -

My husband has issues with being out on open water, but when we took a cruise back in 1998 - the movement of the book didn't bother him at all. We even hit some fairly rough water. I think the cruise vessels have so many stabilizers on them that you don't feel the movement as you would in a small boat.

I've heard that Alaska cruise is fabulous. Hope you get to go on it some day. Hey! You could go as a celebration of your recent sale - Woohoo!

Donna MacMeans said...

Thanks Anna -

That title was like a gift. It woke me up in the middle of the night. I ran downstairs and emailed my agent with it before I could forget it. When Berkley bought the book and had prepared the cover, my editor sent the .jpg to me with the comment "I assume you want to keep the title" (big grin).

Yea - it's a keeper.

Tee said...

This sound like a good book. I am not into paranormal so that is even better. I also look forward to seeing you this weekend!

Donna MacMeans said...

Hi Tee -

Thanks for stopping by! I'm really proud of this one. The plot/premise is fairly unique, but really a lot of fun and the characters have a tendency to stick around after the book is done. Looking forward to seeing you this weekend at Lori Foster & Dianne Castell's Get Toghter.requmen

Karen Kelley said...

The book sounds absolutely fantastic! I'm definitely moving it to the top of my buy list.

I'm the type of traveler who sticks one toe in the water then jumps back. If I had lots of money a tour guide would be nice, though.

Donna MacMeans said...

A nice hunky tour guide I think (grin). If I had lots of money, I'd travel the world over. I wonder if it would get boring?

jo robertson said...

I can't say enough how much I love the cover to this book, Donna. I got a new Kindle Fire today, so I'll order it right away!

I've actually ridden "down" the Nile when I was younger. Actually the Nile flows upward, so I guess that would be up the Nile!

Congratuations!

jo robertson said...

Bummer, Donna! It's not available until June 5, but I'll be sure to get it then!

This sounds like an excellently thrilling story!

Donna MacMeans said...

Jo - I hope you like it. I had a blast writing it.
LOL about the Nile, I forgot about that. However the references in Casanova Code to the various lady Victorian explorers are true and valid. Amazing the number of women who broke with tradition and expectations and followed their hearts into the wilderness.

Angie Fox said...

Oh what a great premise - I love it. I'll definitely be picking this one up.

Jane said...

Hi Donna,
It's so nice to see some members of the lair here. I would love to explore all the archaeological sites in Egypt and then head over to Petra.

Donna MacMeans said...

Hi Angie - Thanks for the premise love - hope you like it.

Donna MacMeans said...

Hey Jane -

We banditas - we get around :-)

Casey was sweet to invite me.

While Egypt isn't a burning need for me, it was definitely on the "must see" list of the Victorians. Isn't Petra the ancient city in the Raiders of the Lost Ark - the Holy Grail one? That would definitely be cool to see.

Barbara E. said...

Exploring all of Great Britain would be my first choice, seeing all the nooks and crannies in each country would be fantastic. I would also like to go to Australia and New Zealand and explore to my heart's content.

Donna MacMeans said...

Hi Barbara - I like the idea of seeing the nooks and crannies and not just the tourist traps. It would really be great to really "experience" the country.

Lexi H said...

Sexy, fun, and Victorian. Love that combo! And the wicked part, can't leave that out.

The Nile sounds fun. But I would love to explore New Zealand, such a gorgeous country and I can imagine myself in another world =) Hobbits anyone?

Donna MacMeans said...

Lexi -

I'd forgotten that Lord of the Ring was filmed there and you're right - it's a beautiful country. Definitely have to put that one on the list.

JessS said...

This sounds really good, so thanks for the giveaway! If it's international I would love to enter.
I've never really tavelled much, so I'd love to explore pretty much anywhere, but especially Japan, or England/Ireland/Scotland (because obviously you couldn't just go to one of them). Thanks!

Donna MacMeans said...

JessS -

Actually, I'm hoping to go to one of them (Scotland) this summer. Would love to hit all three but time is limited, plus you lose so much time in the travel. But I'd love to go to Japan as well. The Casanova Code actually has a Japanese connection but I don't want to toss out spoilers before the book's release (grin).

Casey said...

My parents had friends in New Zealand and visited there a couple times. It looks so beautiful! Of course, in between visiting with the sheep (there are lots of them there!) and gaping at the scenery, I would be on the lookout for Lord Aragorn!

Donna MacMeans said...

Lord Aragorn (major sigh)......

Michele said...

I've been to 26 countries but not to China, yet! That's where I'd love to go and explore.

Donna MacMeans said...

WOW! Michele - that's wonderful!

I've been to Canada, Mexico, England, and then day excusions from a cruise to Honduras, Berlize and the Cayman Islands. I'd love to visit more European countries. I'm envious of your worldliness (grin).