Thursday, June 7, 2012

A little knowledge...


I believe I’ve mentioned my love/hate relationship with modern technology. I love it when it works, but since I’m not the brightest bulb in the box when it comes to this stuff, any malfunction sends my frustration level through the roof.  One thing in particular that really sends me spinning…the inability to access the Internet! Honestly, it has become my window to the world…I check the weather, read the latest news, and do 90% of all my research on the Web. I also use it to guide my consumer purchases (does Sensa really work and what’s the best reciprocating saw on the market? Both are products that I recently checked out! Haven’t made a decision about the Sensa, but did buy my saw based on the numerous reviews that I read!)

But what do I love the most about the Internet? Questions. You can find the answer to almost anything on the Web. All you have to do is type in “how to…”,  “what is…”, or the subject matter and somebody, somewhere, has posted something about it. Do you have to wade through some misinformation? Yeah, depending on what it is you want to know, but usually there’s some tidbit out there that will give you an answer.

However, I think I might be overusing this last thing a bit. It has gotten to the point that whenever I say “Did you know…” that my family’s response is “Let me guess…you read about it online.” In fact, I’m concerned that they’re about ready to stage an intervention!

Is anyone else an “Internet junkie”? Or do you believe in the old adage “a little knowledge is a dangerous thing”? Is having access to all this information good or bad?

Best,

Shirley

2 comments:

Zita said...

Good and bad, I think. What I struggle to keep in mind is that not everything on the Internet is true, so read it all with a grain of salt. The best thing about the Internet is how it has expanded my world. Before Internet I would never have known you. I would have read your books and made assumptions from the one paragraph biography on the back cover. After Internet I get to read your thoughts on a number of topics, most having nothing to do with your writing, and that's wonderful! Alternatively, you now actually get to know a bit about me, someone you would most likely never meet as I live in a different country and will probably never get to a signing. Since you do learn a bit about me, you might actually take my thoughts into consideration when you write your next story. Or maybe not. But the point is, you'll actually get to know some of my thoughts when it really wasn't possible before. So for me, the Internet is a good thing. Or at least, the good outweighs the bad.

Sharon Stogner said...

it can be addictive. when my kids ask me a question my first response is "go google it". The nice thing is you can get info with the click of a button. But I can get caught up in FB, checking just one more time to see who says what.