Tuesday, July 24, 2012

To romance or not to romance...

Being a severe book lover, I belong to several reader loops. They're great for recommendations and to make friends who don't think you're crazy for staying up all night to finish the latest Laurell K Hamilton. I mean who really needs more than three hours of sleep anyway, right?

We've always taken comfort in our book-obsessed oddness, so you can imagine my surprise when a member outed her husband. It seems she'd been missing a copy of her favorite paranormal romance. She assumed she'd accidentally packed it in with her wad-o-books for the used bookstore. She resigned herself to the fact that it was gone forever…until she went into her husband's dresser drawer a few weeks later.

She'd been looking for stamps and found her romance. Hmm…When confronted with the evidence, he admitted he wanted to see what the fuss was about and, well, now he likes paranormal romance. She laughed. Very hard. In fact, everyone on the loop got a kick out of it. Why? Because there's nothing wrong with a man liking romance. In fact, it's pretty nice that he wants to read a great story about a couple who fall in love.

I've had several men at my signings, sci fi fans mostly, who enjoy the paranormal elements in The Accidental Demon Slayer series. Of course, most of them are quick to point out that they saw the book at the front of Barnes & Noble and didn't realize it was a romance at the time.

But still, I have to question a stigma where an entire group of people are somehow forbidden to enjoy a good story. It's like men somehow being forbidden to enjoy chocolate because it's a "girl thing." So what do you think? Do you know any men who read romance? And if not, I wonder what we can do to show them that it really is okay.

6 comments:

Zita said...

I know some men who read thrillers (that are really romantic thrillers or romantic suspense) but they're okay with it because the author is male. However, when Janet Evanovich's Stephanie Plum made it to the big screen, there was one group of 3 women with one man sitting right behind me. I smiled and said, "Oh, you got roped into go, huh?" and the women said "No way! We're here because of him!" LOL

Casey said...

I once got research help from an FBI agent who was, as you can imagine, a macho type. The first time I brought up the word "romance," he jumped right in with: "I know. They're not just about sex, they're relationship stories. That's what they're all about." So three cheers, I say, for guys who know enough to admit the truth and aren't afraid to admit it!

Casey said...

On that same note--and because I'm feeling chatty--I once did a library appearance at which I was introduced by a male librarian. He started out by saying that a lot of people make fun of romances. They mock the covers, the plots, the concept. But, he admitted, there were plenty of people who liked "these things." I braced myself for the worst when he clutched the podium, eyed the audience and said, "And I'm one of them." He's always been one of my favorite people!

Lexi H said...

I think that is awesome that her husband took her book. Romance books have GREAT story lines, people just get scared away from reading a "romance". Too bad, they are missing out.

raybanwayfareroutlet.com said...

lunettes de soleil hommes tres agreable tout comme decrit merci.

lunettes de soleil femme Arrive rapidement, tel que decrit grace

lunettes soleil pas cher Papa etait tres heureux avec un cadeau, lunettes de soleil pas cher je vous remercie!

Sharon Stogner said...

I think things are changing...with the ereaders more people started reading romance cause they didn't have to hide those shameful (rolls eyes) covers. With more people reading and figuring out these are really good stories there is less of a stigma attached to it...therefore...it won't be long before men will be reading romance since no one will know (ereader) and soon they will come out of the literary closet!