Monday, August 27, 2012

A Sticky Situation

I've had the most...interesting week into weekend. Basically there was an incident at my house. Someone--who shall not be named--spilled juice and a lot of it got on my laptop. It spilled on all over the keyboard and some of it on the screen. This is my work laptop, mind you. I do have a Mac I use for writing, but that won't get me through the day to answer emails and such.

Immediately, I sprung into action. After grumbling (unladylike words) and looking in shock, I turned off the laptop. Then I unplugged it and took out the battery. Last, but not least, I turned that sucker upside down.

Then I did my research to keep myself busy. LOL I heard things about drying out electronics with a bag of rice. (I'd need a huge bag. A Costco sized one.) I also heard about air drying it for forty eight hours. Just the thought of not using my laptop for 48 hours gave me the shivers.

I turned the laptop upside over the vent to let it dry over night. Instead of 48 hours, I decided on eight. Not a smart idea. The next morning I turned on the laptop and I couldn't even log in with my password. I learned later, after plugging in a USB keyboard, that all my "a"s were typed as "/+     a". A bunch of letters around "a" were messed up too. The shift key was a disaster and the direction keys made the volume go up and down. You know, instead of making pages go up and down. ;)

Another delightful addition: the keys were weird and sticky. It was so cumbersome to use the USB keyboard and then switch to the laptop mouse. It took me a lot longer to get things done. I immediately ordered a new keyboard. Since I've taken apart laptops before, I knew what to do, but I just dreaded the thought of pulled the laptop apart. There are some laptops where you have to practically unscrew the whole thing just to reach the laptop. But low and behold, I discovered that my model is easy peasy to switch out! Woo hoo! Why weren't all models made this way?



I thought the laptop was toast over the weekend, but I got great news on Sunday when I booted the computer up. The keyboard actually worked again. It just needed to dry out! Even with sticky, red fruit punch.

So my tips if this happens to you:

1. Turn off the laptop and unplug it.
2. Remove the battery.
3. Turn the laptop over so all the fluid drains away.
4. I set my laptop over a vent overnight. When they say it needs a few days to dry...they aren't kidding. It really does need time to dry out. :( Usually fluids other than water are the kiss of death, but I can tell you that you can survive if juice is involved.

Now that this adventure is over, I have no plans to let any drinks near my machine! Did anyone have a better weekend than me? I hope so!

By the way, over at Magic and Mayhem Writers, I'm giving away a signed copy of Angie Fox's upcoming release: IMMORTALLY YOURS. Just leave a comment there to enter!

5 comments:

SandyG265 said...

I spent the weekend on vacation in Vermont.

Angie Fox said...

You forgot the crying part. I would have done a lot of that, repeating that step as needed.

Glad it's working again! You truly have skills. And thanks for the Immortally Yours giveaway!

Sharon Stogner said...

my daughter has spilled multiple drinks on her laptop and it still works! the keyboard doesn't work well so she uses an external one

CrystalGB said...

I am glad that your laptop is still working. I am always afraid I will do that to mine.

Bono said...

After getting your story I am so confident to do my one but I really don't take any risk with my lap top if I get any problem. Because usually I get my friend and he is nice technician regarding laptop screen replacement ; he always helps me but now, I would love to try with my another laptop.