Thursday, November 1, 2012

Hurricane Sandy


Most everyone is texting these days. Well, I don’t if I can avoid it…personally I can talk a lot faster than I can type, so I’d rather call than text!! However I did send a text most willingly yesterday. I’d been following the devastation of Hurricane Sandy online and came across an article about what people can do to help.

One suggestion was a donation to the American Red Cross Disaster Relief via your cell. The instructions said to enter 90999 on the “to” line, then REDCROSS for the “message.” If you do, a ten-dollar donation to the Red Cross would be charged to your cell phone bill. I tried it, and it worked! I then received a message back that required a response of “yes.” Easy breezy…the whole thing took about one minute.

Ten dollars won’t buy a lot for people in need, but I thought about it. I live in a town with a population of around 1,800 and if everyone here did the same thing…it adds up….$18,000 dollars to be precise. Now that would buy a lot…drywall to repair homes, diapers, clothing, food, bottled water, etc. And for me, the ten dollars simply represents one less trip to the convenience store with my grandchildren, one less movie ticket, maybe one less book…not a big sacrifice when I’m sitting in my nice warm home with electricity and plenty of food in the cupboard.

So if anyone out there is looking for ways to help our fellow citizens, you might want to consider the Red Cross!

Have a great day!

Best,

Shirley

3 comments:

Sharon Stogner said...

my banks ATM will let you donate right from the machine :) Wells Fargo. I think most banks are doing this.

MâHâßuß ßHuiyân said...

I just found your blog and want to say thank you ! What an enjoyable time looking through so many sites. It is really nice post thanks for sharing and just keep up the good work !

Data Entry Jobs | Data Entry Training | Flash Photo Gallery | Medprax™ | Bangladeshi Exporters | Cars for Travelers | Search Engine Marketing

MâHâßuß ßHuiyân said...

I just found your blog and want to say thank you ! It is really nice post thanks for sharing and just keep up the good work !

Flash Photo Gallery ! Medprax™ ! Bangladeshi Exporters ! Cars for Travelers