Wednesday, January 23, 2013

Be on the Lookout!



It didn’t matter what the illness was . . . chicken pox, the flu, pneumonia . . . when I was a kid and I was sick, my dad always told me I had “northlilis” (that’s pronounced north-lye-liss).

What is northlilis exactly? Well, that’s the thing. It’s nothing. And everything. It’s a catch-all word that covers every medical ailment under the sun.

Lately, it’s come in handy around here. I haven’t blogged because for going on five weeks now, I’ve had northlilis.

We cancelled Christmas Eve. We cancelled Christmas. We cancelled New Year’s Eve. We cancelled New Year’s Day. Since then, I’ve cancelled drinks with friends and I don’t know how many other things.

All because of northlilis.

This past Sunday was the first day in five weeks that I haven’t taken a nap. So maybe that means I’ve turned a corner. With any luck, the worst is over and I can get back to writing and blogging and taking care of all the business of life.



Use this as a cautionary tale. Be on the lookout...for northlilis.

No comments: