Sunday, February 24, 2013

My Back is Having an Affair with My Bed

My back has always been feisty when it comes to beds. Since high school, if I sleep too long, my back hurts, but I live with it. It wasn't so bad that it interfered with my life, so I just sort of ignored it and went along with life.

Then in October 2011 (yes, count the months, that was a LONG time ago), I slept funny and woke up with my back killing me. A year later, I was still in pain 24/7. I had tried all sorts of stretches and strengthening exercises. I tried massages. I tried anti-inflammatories. I tried heat. I tried ice. Nothing worked. I couldn't twist. I couldn't wash my daughter's hair without being knocked out for the rest of the day. I was a hurtin' unit.

What time was it worst? During the night and in the morning. I would wake up at 1am with my back killing me, and the rest of the night was spent trying to get into a position that didn't hurt.  My favorite position was to sleep on my back, and that would cause massive pain within five minutes.

Then one day, when I was especially miserable with pain, I was at my daughter's soccer game. One of the dads at the game mentioned that he used to be in so much pain in the mornings with his back that he had to lie down on the floor and stretch as soon as he rolled out of bed. Then he got a new mattress, and the pain vanished.

Well, that was it. I couldn't take it any more. So, I trotted right out to the mattress store, discovered that I needed the softest mattress they had because my hips and shoulders weren't heavy enough to compress a firmer mattress. I bought it, got it home, and started sleeping on it.

Over the next couple months, my back pain completely disappeared. COMPLETELY. YAY! Back pain that had been brutal for a year, but which had been a part of my life since I was a teenager. GONE. Was it the mattress? It had to be, right? No other option.

Well, last night, I slept on another mattress while out of town. It was a hard mattress, and by morning, I was basically crippled. My hips hurt, my back hurt, my shoulder hurt, my neck hurt. I have been gimping around all day, my back in so much pain, exactly how it was for that year when I was sleeping on my old mattress.

One night. One hard mattress. All the pain in my back has returned.

You think it's a fluke? I don't either. My new, soft mattress saved my back.

Mattress, I love you. Be my Valentine.

~Stephanie, who is SO excited to be back on her soft bed tonight...

4 comments:

jerry john said...

Bedroom furniture from top home furniture manufacturers is available at a huge discount online from Best Priced Furniture. foam mattress reviews

Michael Green said...

I’m surprised you didn’t seek a physician when your back pain is too much as you described it. In buying mattresses, we should really consider which one would suit our needs the most. There are variations of therapeutic beds available in the market, but I’m glad you found the perfect one for you.

Michael Green

Brad Jordan said...

Glad you found the solution for that bad back! I actually sleep better on a firm mattress rather than a soft one. I guess it really all depends on our bodies. I think all of us have affairs with our beds though. Haha! -Brad @ The Bedding Mart

Dante Storey said...

It’s definitely about the mattress. Good thing you’ve figured that out before your back pain came back and turned worst. Keep buying a good one and save yourself the unnecessary pain. Dante,
The Healthy Bed Store