Wednesday, March 6, 2013

It's Research . . . Honest!

This summer, I've got a new mystery series premiering.  It's called the League of Literary Ladies and is about a group of not-so-friendly neighbors who are constantly taking each other to court.  The magistrate gets tired of seeing them and sentences them to be a book discussion group!  I had a lot of fun with book #1 in the series, "Mayhem at the Orient Express," and I'm just starting book #2, "A Tale of Two Biddies."

What that means, of course, is that there's new research to be done.  In the League series, my heroine, Bea Cartwright, owns a B&B on South Bass Island in Lake Erie.  I didn't get all the way there (about an hour and a half to the west of where I live) but this weekend, headed in the other direction to a B&B on the shores of Lake Erie.



Take a look!  Bad enough to see that much ice and snow from the mainland, imagine looking at it from an island and realizing that unless you fly out, you're staying put until the lake thaws. 

In the name of research, we also visited a number of the wineries in the area.  Hey, one of the ladies in the League owns a winery on the island, the least I could do was include her in my research, right?


Ah, the things writers do for their books!

1 comment:

Sharon Stogner said...

Tale of Two Biddies... lol, love that title! I think I will become a virtual research assistant for authors... you need to know what a rock hard set of abs feels like? Let me do that for you... ;)