Tuesday, May 21, 2013

My Big Fat Demon Slayer Wedding: the story behind the story

Hi all! Apologies for my AWOL status lately, but I've been burning it up trying to put the finishing touches on My Big Fat Demon Slayer Wedding. That's the book due out on July 1. In fact, you can find an excerpt here.

It's all about Lizzie the demon slayer and her attempts to fight off the Earl of Hell, while planning her wedding. The book is a lot of fun (the biker witches are crazier than ever). And it's been a really neat experience for me because I'm doing this book all on my own.

By that, I mean without an official publisher. My original publisher for the series went bankrupt (not because of me), so I can basically do what I want. What a dangerous thought...

It means that I don't simply turn in a manuscript, like I do with the Monster MASH series from St. Martin's Press. For the demon slayer series, I hire my own editor. A lot of times, with a publisher, I won't even see my cover until it is already finished. For My Big Fat Demon Slayer Wedding, I hired my own cover artist and had the great privilege of working with her directly. Janet is the original artist for the demon slayer series and she is flat out awesome.

Taking charge of the series myself means I can do as many demon slayer books as I want in the future (yay!). Of course, some things with the demon slayer series will change. This book won't get a pre-order button on Amazon, Barnes & Noble and the like. Because, well, even though I'm the same person who has always been responsible for the content inside the books, I'm not an official publisher. The print copies may be harder to find. But, hey, it's a small price to pay in order to ride with the biker witches again.

I hope you enjoy this new book as much as I have. And stay tuned, because I'll be giving away some early copies when we get closer to that July 1 release date!

Angie

No comments: